Saturday, April 7, 2012

G is for Grandmother Willow!


So today is the letter G, so I decided to pick a character from a (surprisingly) not so popular movie. And the character herself is also overlooked in many ways, so I thought I'd honor her here.


Grandmother Willow, Pocahontas 



Grandmother Willow makers her first appearance in the 1995 film, Pocahontas. She is a wise old willow tree serving as a guide to Pocahontas, counseling her on the strange dreams she's been having. She encourages Pocahontas to listen to the spirits of the earth and helps her figure out a way to be with John Smith and stop the fighting between their people. 


Why I like her: 

Grandmother Willow is wise, funny, and very caring. She does all in her power to help Pocahontas. Plus,she's a talking willow tree, how cool is that? She even does her share of butt kicking in the movie to scare off two english settlers. Add her funny lines and thought provoking words, and you got a fun and yet deep character. 

Fun Fact: In the very first draft of the script the character of "Grandmother Willow" was written as a male character who was the spirit of the river, the character was named "Old Man River". The song "Just Around the Riverbend" was written for this character to be sung. 


And now, I leave you with a quote: 


"Don't be frightened, young man. My bark is worse than my bite."

2 comments:

  1. I love that! Grandmother Willow IS kind of overlooked, isn't she?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, you're right she's underrated - I'd totally forgotten about her. But she was so cool...thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete